Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Sheet Music.. Yay or nay?


Sheet music. The language of the musician... or... the death of me.. seriously.

Seasons Of Love Sheet Music
I post this on behalf of those who really want to learn a song so badly, yet... can't read sheet music. I mean.. true. We could learn.. We could. But, to be fair.. its one song I want to learn. One. Not a whole score.. just one song. Or even a snipped of music to show off to my friends. Since that's often the case with me.

Memory Sheet Music 

I know its a subject.. where one half of people will think:
'Well.. if you want to learn a song, just learn to read sheet music'
 
But, while that's all well and good. Some people just can't get the grasp of it. I touched upon it during my first years in high school.. 4 years ago now... I never understood it then. My mind could not understand what the notes are.. where I play... even the beats. If I know the song lyrics and tune, and I know the chords, I can more or less play it by ear. But.. its hard to find just chords.. Most songs I'd love to play come with sheet music with no indication on what the chords are for those who cannot read.
All my mind ever sees with sheet music is a lot of fancy lines. Sure, looks nice. But that is all it does for me.
That being said.. I did search for how to read sheet music.. so I think.. I have a little more understanding. Not a lot.. I still don't know what the heck the above pictures are.
 
So what's your view on sheet music? Can you read it easily, like its your mother tongue? Or are you like me.. your mind cannot grasp it at all?
 
-Shannon 


No comments:

Post a Comment